This period saw the outbreak of war, which
affected racing and club activities generally.
Many club members were away serving with the Armed Forces. However in 1941
another yachting success saw Plimmerton yacht "Tassie" win the
Wellington Sanders Cup trials, and represent the province at Auckland.
crew comprised Ken Pickering (4th man). Ken Watson (f.h). Snow Cameron (3rd man) and Mel Watson (skipper)
the threat of the war and seaward invasion the Army took over occupation of the
Clubhouse and land and several boatsheds were required to be removed for gun pit
placement and general defenses. The Clubhouse and slipway had explosives planted
underneath so that they could be flattened to ensure visibility for shooting
defenses should the enemy appear. Some
sailing still occurred within the bay area and special permits had to be carried
to 20 Army personnel manned the Clubhouse for approximately 3 years.
War period meant that various functions had to be cancelled with a loss of
revenue. In January 1942 the Club Committee resolved to seek compensation for
this and a claim for 1200 pounds was decided on. This was held over however,
following discussions and the Army Department agreed to pay a weekly rental of 1-10-0
(one pound ten
April 1942, a special meeting was hastily convened following intimation
the Army's intention to demolish the Clubhouse. Fortunately this did not occur.
After the War the Club required the Army to remove the two gun pits remaining on
the property and in March 1943 accepted 80 (eighty
for demolition and restoration costs for 8 boatsheds. Although
Club received some compensation, one of the young girls of the time recalled,
"It wasn't worth it, because the soldiers with their hob-nailed boots
ruined our dance floor". Thanks Mary Casey (nee Jobson) for that
the troubled times of the early 40's, some important events occurred for the
Club. Firstly it became an Incorporated Body in January 1942, and then probably the
greatest event in the Club's History occurred in February 1942 when it was
agreed to purchase the whole land area (
27p) at the point for 275 (two hundred & seventy five pounds)
was a major achievement for the Club, and most generous on the part of the
owners Messrs Troup and Moore, as the Government Valuation at the time was 695
(six hundred and ninety five pounds).
lot of time was spent by the Committee on all aspects of the land purchase.
T. Dodson and F. Ross were heavily involved in the negotiations
the owners. The purchase was also assisted considerably by Mr H.D. Dodson
(father of T. Dodson) loaning the Club 100 pounds by way of mortgage.
1943-45 a start was made on rebuilding several of the small boatsheds, but this
was hampered by a lack of building materials following the war. Gordon
Ward winning the P class Wellington Provincial Trials and the right to represent Wellington
in the NZ Tanner Cup championships,
highlight was the success of Bill and Ivan Casey in the Z class
winning the Wellington Championships and the Paremata Easter Regatta
further 12 Army huts were purchased to provide additional boatsheds
a 100 (one hundred pounds) loan from Mr H.D. Dodson.
1947-48 further sheds were built bringing the total to 26. With a strong demand
for sheds at this time the Committee resolved
canoe or flat-bottomed dinghy (flattie)
not be entitled to shed space"
again social activities were severely restricted, this time with the
paralysis (polio) epidemic.
the 1948 AGM it was resolved "to acquire a suitable boat with enginefor
pick-up and general rescue work". This was launched on 19 November
and named the "Deryck Barren" in commemoration of the only active
of the Club who lost his life in the Navy during the war. The boat
built by a Shetland Islander Jock McCaIlum (based on an original
design) on his property at
Newman, Fred Jobson, and Fred Sellens comprised the original crew.
Rescue Boat Shed was located close to the current shed with rails
down to the water. The boat could be launched quickly but had to
hand-winched back up to the shed with considerable muscle power
It was powered by a single-cylinder simplex petrol inboard motor
large flywheel. Later this was replaced with a small diesel.